Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Dre's June Update

Just a quick update on the Big Man.

It's been about a month since we switched over fully to raw turkey Bravo!

At his skinniest, he was roughly 41lbs. He's about 23-24" at the withers, so that is tiny. He's now up to his highest weight yet, fulfilling his lifelong dream of being a 52lb lap dog.




We switched the kibble for his Kongs to Nature's Variety LID Turkey and Wellness Turkey for the wet food in his Kongs.

For crunchy biscuits, we've continued to feed the Natural Balance novel proteins-- duck or bison, usually. For moist treats we're using Wellness Pure Bites, turkey.

He still gets kelp. And we've added a digestive enzyme called In Clover Fresh Digest. This has been our go-to enzyme for years. It makes an immediate difference in stool quality.

Still haven't tried adding in omegas.

Since he's been very stable for over a month on this food, we're ready to start rocking the boat very soon. I'm trying to decide whether that should entail adding in omegas (either salmon oil or flax), or whether I should start trying other proteins. Beef will likely be next.

I would like to make sure that he has several proteins that we can rotate through so that he doesn't develop allergies or aversions to the only one he currently tolerates.

Right now, he gets the Bravo! original grinds-- these require a few supplements, which is why I add the kelp and would like to add salmon oil. But Bravo! does make a "complete" version of most of their foods. I need to investigate which proteins I can get this way locally.

Once I have 2 or 3 proteins that I know he can tolerate well and feel like he has comfortably stabilized, I'll start seeing how he does with chicken-- both higher and lower fat cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment