Thursday, July 18, 2013

Dre's July update

Poor Dre Dog.

After trying and failing to add salmon oil, TWICE, I went back to just turkey. I've been a little lax about treats, but other than that, his diet's been pretty straightforward. He threw up bile right before the first time we tried salmon, threw up food on day 3 of that, hacked and threw up bile with the second round, and threw up yard waste yesterday. After yesterday's episode, he really didn't feel well. He moped around the house and laid on my feet.


He started to feel better when his friend
came to see what was going on.

Anyway, we decided it was time to rule out bigger problems. We are concerned that he might have a pancreatic problem. Our vet still feels like all signs point to dietary intolerance, but we want to make sure it's not something more fundamental. I want to make sure we don't keep assuming the hoofprints belong to a horse when in fact the zebras made a break from the zoo, ya know?

I didn't allow him any treats since I knew he'd be getting a blood draw and wanted to be sure he'd been fasted long enough. God bless, he was not happy. I usually use vet visits as training opportunities. So when we showed up there and he got NO TREATS-- not form me, not from the front desk, not from the techs, not from the doc, AND HE COULD SEE THEM RIGHT THERE-- he wasn't thrilled. He barked.  A lot.

But he was nice and still and quiet for his draw, which is really what counts. His sample will be sent to Texas A&M's lab for EPI testing. The good news is that he still seems to be handling raw well. I hope he continues to do so.

I'll report back when we have results...

No comments:

Post a Comment