Friday, December 13, 2013

Food sensitivities: Why are they so complicated?

You all already know my conundrum.

Andre only eats turkey Bravo and it's god awfully expensive.

Thing is, EVERY time I try to change up his food AT ALL, he has an episode. Some episodes are worse than others-- vomiting, listlessness, etc. Lately, they are more of the occasional vomiting of bile and trying to eat inappropriate things. Like the other dogs' poop.

Lately, we've been trying to transition over to a blend that is turkey drumsticks (ground) and pork heart and liver. After several days, we saw the same things we were seeing when we hoped it was cottage cheese or lack of probiotics. It's nothing drastic. He still seems happy and healthy (not the scary listlessness) and he does a lot of this:


It's just really frustrating. And strangest of all, his poop is almost always perfect. So I have to base everything I'm doing on how desperately he's eating poop and leaves.

I'm going to take 2 approaches. One is to move much more slowly-- replace 2 ounces at a time, and spend several DAYS at each level instead of several meals. I will also be adding more veggies. Bravo includes broccoli, yams, and green beans. And I think the new blend is bonier than Bravo (it's also got too much liver to be his sole food source, but I'd be happy if I could get it to where it makes up half his meals.

We don't tend to add many veggies. A nice blend of organ meats and a variety of proteins takes care of most of their veggies, and my girls tend to do better with less vegetable fiber in their diets.

And the 3rd approach, for later, will be to start trying beef.

I would LOVE to hear from others who have tried to broaden a sensitive dog's culinary horizons. What helped and didn't, where did you make compromises?

This is simply crazy.


No comments:

Post a Comment