Friday, July 31, 2015

Making the move



Why, yes, you DO see 5 bowls there...

We have made an unexpected addition to our crew. I won't yet say he's permanent-- he's barely met all 4 dogs, so we'll have to see if he's right for our home and if we're right for him.



But in the meantime, I am training him (you can see that over here at The Education of Alfie) and starting his transition to raw. Since this is the first time since starting this blog that I've done a (so far) straightforward transition the way I like to do it, I thought I'd chronicle it here, too.

Since his ultimate home was still undecided, I thought I'd start with a mid-grade, but overall quality, kibble. I didn't want to shock his system with something rich if he's been eating Ol' Roy (and he sure smells like it) or start him on raw right away if he's going to go to a non-raw home. I chose Simply Nourish, the house "higher quality" brand at PetSmart. He likes it. It's fine.

A few days I ago, I started the raw switch.

Currently he is getting kibble in the mornings. I like to start raw on straight boneless chicken thighs. I want to ease a dog into bone so I can gauge how much bone is right for that dog, how interested he is in raw meat at all.

I've also added a probiotic for good measure, but he seems to have a pretty solid digestive system.

And he's only 25#, but is young, so I'm starting with 2% (so his one meal is 4oz) and we'll go from there.

I'll keep updating as we start adding other things!

No comments:

Post a Comment