Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Back to the grind

Last night I got back to the grinder.

I chopped up 30lbs of pork hearts (which usually just means splitting them in half) and skinned 5lbs of leg quarters with my new poultry shears from Oxo. I don't think I like the a s much as the Henckels, but if they last longer, then I really can't complain. 

Anyway, prep, grind, packing, labeling, and cleaning the grinder took around an hour and a half. I'm thrilled.

This was the first foray into bones for this machine. Here is the first leg quarter I sent down the chute. All I did was skin it and drop it in. It was glorious.



With my STX, I had to cut a quarter into 3-5 pieces. The only cutting I did on any of these quarters was a notch in between the back and bottom of the thigh on some of them, otherwise, the larger backs got stuck perpendicular at the mouth of the chute. 

So why, you ask, was my hand covering up the output? Let me tell you. When I watched videos of other people using these grinders, they all had their kitchens covered in plastic. I could not figure out what that was about. I've been grinding with my middle of the road grinder for years and I've never needed to plasticize the room.

Yesterday I learned. This thing has so much power, if the meat isn't sufficiently cold (read: almost frozen) or if it backs up and then catches up with itself, it shoots meat out in a most impressive arc. Can you see the splatter on the wall of my bucket?



Now see where River is standing? She's standing there because that's how far it sprayed. She was obviously more than happy to assist with clean-up.


Regardless, I am beyond happy with this thing. The real test will be when I finally do the 40lbs of thighs that are in the freezer.... As it is, I'm running out of containers.

No comments:

Post a Comment